Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Katy to Kenya!

Hey everyone, I don't know if you've heard but I'm going to Kenya this summer! Here's a copy of my support letter in case you're not on my mailing list. If you would like me to send you a copy and havn't told me yet, please just let me know. Any donations that you wish to make should be sent to Faith Alliance Church, 7505 Barens Rd., Roanoke, VA 24179. Thanks everyone for your interest in my trip!

Dear friends and family:

Many of you heard about and even generously contributed to the mission trip I took to the Dominican Republic last August.  I am very thankful for all the support that our team received. We all had a fantastic time while we were there, and learned so many things. The sense of community that developed between us and the people there was amazing—especially since we had a little trouble communicating! I think the highlight of the trip for me was coming home. I remember the airplane landing on U.S. soil, and looking out at all the highways and buildings realizing this isn't my home. I don't belong here, and this isn't where I want to be. This is my mission field. That's not to say I didn't want to serve here, but I am a sojourner. I thank you for sending me on my first mission trip. It changed my perspective on how I live. And thank the Lord it will not be my last trip.

Since I’ve been interested in missions for a while, I had hoped to go on a mission trip once I finished high school. I had never had the opportunity to do so before I went to the Dominican Republic. Although my trip to the DR was wonderful, I had hoped to go on a longer mission trip so I could really get an idea of what it was like to be a missionary. My dad first told me about the possible opportunity to go to Kenya with a group from Lexington in the airport on the day we came home from the D.R.  There was some uncertainty as to whether it would work out or not. We weren't sure if they still had room for one more person. As we've been working out the details, I've also been praying that God would make his will clear by opening and closing doors. He has been continually opening the doors!

So, this summer, June 21- July 20, I will visit the Rafiki village in Kenya. Rafiki is an organization that houses, feeds, and educates orphans. They have a program for widows, so they can earn money to feed their families, and they also welcome day students to their school. I encourage you to find out more by visiting Rafiki’s website at www.rafikifoundation.org. I will leave with a Lexington, Virginia-based group, whose organizers are friends of my grandmother. The Lexington team will be there the first two weeks, but the last two weeks and on the trip home I will be alone. Please pray for courage and safety for me and pray for my family and friends who I will be leaving behind. Pray for the hearts of those of us who will go, and those to whom we will minister, also.

If you would like to do more to support me, I will gladly do whatever work you may have for me (babysitting, cleaning, yard work, etc.) for a donation. It's estimated that I need to raise about $3,200, though prayer is by far the most valuable thing I could ask of you. If you would like to support me through prayer or financial means, simply fill out the attached form and use the enclosed envelope to mail your donation to Faith Alliance Church. Please make the check payable to Faith Alliance Church with Rafiki, Kenya on the memo line. Please do NOT put my name anywhere on the check, so that you may, receive a tax deduction.

I'm already receiving support and interest in my trip, for which I am very thankful. I praise God for your generosity. I love you all and hope we remember that no matter where we are, this earth is our mission field.

Love in Christ,

Katy
 

No comments: